Friday, March 19, 2010

The Amber Spyglass

This is the hat I was working on whilst listening to The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. I finished the hat during The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman, the third book in the His Dark Materials trilogy, which I finished 2 nights ago. Again, more tedious exposition. Pullman creates not just one world in this series but several worlds and with each new world we visit, we are given a history and physics lesson. He does it with wonderful detail so if you like that kind of thing, this series is for you. But I have to say I appreciate stories that build on previous knowledge of myths, legends and fairy tales. I also felt that Pullman was a bit heavy handed with his views on religion, and while I respect his views, I felt like he was beating me over the head with them.
So I finished my hat, and now I'm working on a cardigan that I started last September and I'm listening to the second book in the Artemis Fowl series The Arctic Incident. I've also been digging in to some fairy tales for my literature class. I love fairy tales and modern and fractured retellings of them so I will post more about that later. Until then, happy reading!

No comments: