Thursday, August 12, 2010

Letters from Summer Camp

Today I attended day one of Library Summer Camp at the Santa Clara County Office of Education. I learned many things. I learned about a new ALA sponsored certification for Library Support Staff that looked very interesting. I also learned some tips and tricks for good read alouds. And I learned about the advantages of collaborating with other library clerks in the district and working as a team for the benefit of all the libraries.

But the highlight of the day was Walter and Valerie's presentation of their favorite new books. At the top of their list of recommended books is the book that I'm most looking forward to being released this fall. It's called 13 Words and it's written by Lemony Snicket (Series of Unfortunate Events) and illustrated by Maira Kalman (Max Makes a Million, Fireboat: the Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey). I could not have been more excited when I found out that one of my all-time favorite authors was teaming up with one of my all-time favorite illustrators to collaborate on a picture book! And now to see that the book is on Walter and Valerie's recommended list, I am actually more excited! It was also gratifying to see that some of the books on their list are already in our library, such as The Quiet Book, Stand Straight Ella Kate, Ling and Ting Not Exactly the Same, and Word After Word After Word. I'll do my best to get more of these excellent books into our library.

I had a good time today, I met some new people and said 'hello' to some old friends. I get to go back tomorrow and learn some more stuff!

No comments: