Monday, March 4, 2013

Cicada Princess

A few weeks ago, in a post titled Connections, I talked about a project that I had backed on Kickstarter.  I've actually backed several projects on Kickstarter, mostly films.  One of the films I backed is called Cicada Princess.  It's a very short animated film and it's currently making the rounds on the festival circuit, including Cinequest which is going on now in San Jose.  This means I had the opportunity to see this film on the big screen, along with some other short animated works.

So, of course, I went Friday night to see it and brought Mrs. Medalen with me.  We enjoyed seeing all the films but I was very excited to see 'my' film.  Plus, the filmmakers were there with one of the puppets from the movie so I was able to say hello and have my picture taken with the Cicada Princess herself!

And here's me with the writer/director Mauricio Baiocchi:

The film tells the story of the cicadas, who spend most of their lives underground, until one day they emerge for one dazzling night of courtship, and then they die.  It's sweet and sad and beautifully done.  Mr. Baiocchi described how making the film helped him get through a very dark time in his life.  

Besides getting a copy of the film as one of my Kickstarter rewards, I also received this cicada doll that was used in the film.  It's one of the cicadas crossing the bridge to the castle to attend the ball. So cool!


If you ever get the chance to see this film, I highly recommend it. The scene at the ball is stunning!

No comments: