Thursday, February 16, 2012

Arbitrary Lists

The other day, Lisa Brown tweeted a link to this article listing the 100 'Greatest Books for Kids' which sparked a little controversy, as these types of lists often do.  But I have to agree with the consensus that it is a strange list.  It runs the gamut from Pat the Bunny to The Hunger Games.  It tries to encompass too large an age range and leaves out many beloved classics.

Then I thought to myself, this thing is so random, I could probably come up with a list of 100 best books for kids.  So I set out to do just that.  I started a list and got to number 38 before giving up out of exhaustion!  I didn't want to just list my own personal favorites, I wanted to include important books that have stood the test of time and also new books that may do just that. Like the controversial list above, I tried to include picture books as well as chapter books but it's just to unwieldy.  Maybe I'll keep working on it, who knows.  But for now, if you want to see my list of favorite books, you can see it in the library catalog under Staff Picks.

What books would you like to see on a list of 100 best books for kids?  Send me your titles and maybe I'll add them to my list!

No comments: