Monday, January 23, 2012

ALA Youth Media Awards Announced!

It's that time of year again.  When the librarians hand awards out for their favorite books.  May of this year's winners are already on the shelves at Marshall Lane Library.  For a complete list of the winners, you can go to the ALA website. Winners and honor books that can be found in the library are:
Dead End in Norvelt, by Jack Gantos.  This the Newbery Winner for 2012.   I haven't read this yet, but I've just purchased and downloaded the audio book so I can start listening to it right away.
 
The Caldecott Medal winner is A Ball for Daisy, by Chris Raschka.  Blackout, by John Rocco and Grandpa Green, by Lane Smith each won a Caldecott Honor.
 


Coretta Scott King Author Honors went to Eloise Greenfield who wrote The Great Migration: jOurney to the North, which was illustrated by Jan Spivey Gilchrist and to Patricia McKissack for Never Forgotten, which was illustrated by Leo and Diane Dillon.


Wonderstruck, by Brian Selznick won a Schneider Family Book Award for "embodying an artistic expression of the disability experience."

 

The Elephant Scentist, by Caitlin O'Connell and Donna M. Jackson and Drawing from Memory, by Allan Say are two informational children's books that were given Robert F. Sibert honors.

And most exciting of all, the Theodor Seuss Geisel Award went to Tales for Very Picky Eaters, by Josh Schneider, with honors going to Mo Willems' I Broke My Trunk, featuring local favorites Elephant and Piggie, and also to Jon Klassen's I Want My Hat Back which has become quite a favorite at the Marshall Lane Library!

I will do my best to acquire the rest of the award and honor books from the ALA list but until then, you can check these out at the library!



No comments: