Friday, October 7, 2011

Yes, Virginia, Grown-ups Do Read Comic Books

Way back in April, I read and reviewed Ghostopolis by Doug TenNapel. I thought it was a terrific book so whenever a student checks it out, I tell them that I think it's a really good book and that I enjoyed reading it. Nine times out of ten, the student in question will give me a quizzical look and ask "You read it?" They seem a little surprised. This happened earlier this week when a boy checked out Ghostopolis. I told him how much I enjoyed it and he was very surprised that I had read it. Since then, he's been coming in every day to give me updates on where he's at in the story. Today he came in to update me and also told me that he had told his dad that I had read Ghostopolis and his dad was very surprised to hear that. I asked why and he told me that his dad didn't think grown-ups read comic books. I reassured him that lots of grown-ups read comic books. He then went on to tell me that his dad doesn't read anything because he has to work all day. I told him his dad probably is reading things, just not fun things. I know this because Mr. Richards used to have the same problem. He still has to work all day, but he reads more fun stuff now than he used to.

No comments: