Saturday, January 15, 2011

Items of interest

I have no review this week, I've been reading grown up things lately but I'll get back to the kidlit soon. In the meantime, if you are looking for something new to read there is a great website called kidsreads.com. They have a whole team of people there who read and review books. There are reviews on new books every month plus you can see what's coming soon and they have author interviews as well. It's a great place to find new things to read.

Also, I saw this on my Twitter feed this week. It's called the 90 Second Newbery Film Festival. It's a contest! James Kennedy is challenging kids to make a 90 second film of their favorite (or least favorite, or most forgotten) Newbery winner (or honor book). Here is an example:

"A Wrinkle In Time" In 90 Seconds from James Kennedy on Vimeo.

Pretty funny, huh? Neil Gaiman also tweeted that he would give a signed copy of The Graveyard Book to his favorite 90 second version of his Newbery winner. Does that get your creative juices flowing? It does mine!

4 comments:

James Kennedy said...

Hello, this is James Kennedy, the co-curator of the "90-Second Newbery" Film Festival (and the author of the YA/MG fantasy The Order of Odd-Fish). Thanks for spreading the word about the video contest! Do you think Marshall Lane Elementary might participate?!

By the way, if you're ever interested in getting a group together at the school to read Odd-Fish, I'd be delighted to Skype in for a discussion. After all, Odd-Fish won the Newbery Medal in 2009 . . .

Mrs. Richards said...

Hello Mr. Kennedy, esteemed ostensible author of the 2009 Newbery Award! I have recruited an enthusiastic and creative teacher whose class is already working on a Newbery project and can easily incorporate a 90 second video. We won't be able to start recording until probably late April. I'm very excited, though.

I will get back to you on the skype thing. I'd like to read Odd-Fish first. (Don't feel bad, I haven't read the 2008 or 2011 Newbery winners either.)

James Kennedy said...

Dear Mrs. Richards,

Ooh, thanks so much! I can't wait to see the "Island of the Blue Dolphins" re-imagining that your other post mentioned!

Have you considered a creating a STOP-MOTION, ALL-YARN 90-Second Newbery? From consulting your other posts, you certainly have the skills!

Thanks!

James

Mrs. Richards said...

Holy smoke! Why didn't I think of that myself? Probably because it would be a tremendous amount of work and I'm essentially a lazy person. But this is a public forum and so I will bring shame upon my house if I don't even try. You have definitely given me something to consider, Mr. Kennedy!